[Linux-ham] a HAM question, really..

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:33:09 EDT 2009

Ok, people, I've got a problem that's really bugging me.  I had to move to
an apartment this year and the building seems purpose-built to block 2 meter
radio signals.  I have a tri-band HT that is literally worthless inside and
a Yaesu FT-1802 50 watt 2 meter radio and a 1/4 mag mount antenna.  In the
old house (in Youngsville) I could easily hit the 148.88 repeater even at 10
watts output.  Here, in downdown Durham, I can recieve transmissions on the
FT-1802 but not push a signal to the repeater (the HT is useless inside, it
can't even pick up a useable signal from the repeater).

So, what can I do?  The building management already said no to a roof
mounted antenna of any kind so that's out.  Can I try a different antenna
inside the building?  The building in question is an old tobacco warehouse
with foot-thick brick walls (exterior) and interior walls are built using
metal studs with drywall over top.

There's got to be *SOMETHING* I can do.

Any ideas are welcome.

Greg