[TriLUG-announce] Fwd: February 11th - TriLUG Lightning Talks

Jeremy Davis jeremyhwllc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:15:06 EST 2016

Reminder!! TriLUG Lightning Talks!!

We still have room for more talks. If you are submitting a talk feel free
to include links to your Twitter, Github, LinkedIn, etc..

Topic: Lightning Talks
When: Thursday, 11th February 2016, 7pm (pizza from 6.45pm)
Where: Bandwidth, Venture III, 900 Main Campus Dr, Raleigh, NC 27606
Parking: Venture Center Deck, adjacent to Venture III
(visitor spaces are unrestricted after 5pm)
Map: http://osm.org/go/ZYRUokxgI--

Event Page: http://trilug.org/node/217

We all know the TriLUG community is an infinite pool of enabling wisdom.
Now it is time to tap into the intellectual resources of the group. Our
next meeting will be all about sharing your ideas via Lightning Talks. The
ultimate goal is knowledge transfer and maximum participation is required
to make it awesome.

You will have approximately 10 minutes to engage the audience on a topic of
your choice. You can prep slides for presentation or you can lead a group
discussion.

Respond to the mailing list with your topic and we will reserve your time,
first come first serve.

Topic 1: How to launch a new irc bot

I recently built a node irc bot framework and I will demonstrate how to
launch a new bot and why node is awesome for this type of application.

Presenter: Erik Nelson
twitter: @enels
github: http://github.com/eriknelson
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/enels

Topic 2: Sound Reinforcement 101, For Software People

Presenter: Matthew Frazier

Linux is excellent for audio work, but this won't cover too much of the
software side. This talk is more for those who are coming at sound
reinforcement from the software side, and getting tripped up when audio
signals behave differently than software people tend to expect. (Like
me, when I first started getting involved with the production crew at
church.)

Depending on how much I can pack into 10 minutes, we'll cover the nature
of sound, how it gets carried in both analog and digital forms, what all
the weird equipment you see sound engineers carrying around does, and
how to finagle sound into the format you want when you're hooking cables
together.

Topic 3: Demo a Minecraft Server running on a Raspberry Pi 2

Here is a teaser slide: http://i.imgur.com/tgfi5Sd.png

Presenter: Emmett Miller (age 6) and Scott Miller

Topic 4: Migrating WordPress snapshots within OpenShift

Presenter: Donald Frustaglio

Topic 5: Advanced use of LibreOffice

For two years I have used LibreOffice to publish the Triangle Career
Development Newsletter. The relational database known as LibreOffice Base
is the primary workhorse of the operation, which I use to gather
information from over 100 websites. Once I capture all the data for
upcoming events, a set of queries sorts and organizes the data then
concatenates the results with HTML to create a nicely formatted newsletter
ready to publish. One step of the process also involves LibreOffice Calc
with a few hefty formulas to zip everything together. I will walk you
through the process. The goal of this talk is to demonstrate the integrity
and advanced capabilities of LibreOffice.

Presenter: Jeremy Davis
@jeremydavis0_0
www.linkedin.com/in/jeremydavisprofile/

--