[TriLUG-announce] Meeting: October 11 - An introduction to the Drupal CMS

Aaron Schrab aaron at schrab.com
Tue Oct 9 14:32:36 EDT 2018

Topic: An introduction to the Drupal CMS
Presenter: Chris Russo
When: Thursday, 11 October 2018 - 6:45pm to 9:00pm
Where: NCSU College of Textiles, 1020 Main Campus Dr., Room 2207
Parking: Underground parking deck immediately adjacent to the building (see map)
Map: Google Maps

Links:
     Map:    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1UrgaJS-tvi3X26JL_sed9V9cgoA
     Page:   https://trilug.org/2018/10/06/october-11-an-introduction-to-the-drupal-cms/
     Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/trilug/events/255367282/

Summary
We'll introduce the Drupal CMS and its surrounding relevant
ecosystems. We'll take a light dive into a smattering of topics and
offer a Q&A session to follow up more deeply. We'll keep it
interactive -- so ask about any subject that you wish expanded. We'll
also look at a quick tutorial on getting Drupal set up locally, so if
you're interested, bring a laptop. We have WiFi service in our
meeting.

Some of the things we'll cover, time permitting:

Drupal - what is it - how is it used?
Drupal's past, present and future
Drupal 8 (current version) vs previous versions
Drupal vs. Wordpress (because you have to)
Deployment and maintenance tactics and best practices
How to spin up a local instance
Performance optimization
Automated testing

Bio
Chris Russo is the founder of Savas Labs - a strategy design and
development agency with deep Drupal expertise. When he's not behind
his computer, you can find Chris playing soccer or moving about on his
bicycle. Chris is passionate about social and environmental justice.
He founded and sold Tilthy Rich Compost - a bicycle powered organics
recycling service in downtown Durham - combining two of his passions.
Chris is eager to figure out what the next Tilthy Rich is so chat him
up about any ideas you have.