[TriLUG-announce] Sept 12 - Observability Through the Lenses of Metrics and Events

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:14:21 EDT 2019

Topic: Observability Through the Lenses of Metrics and Events
Presenter: Jack Neely and Breandan Dezendorf
When: Thursday, 12 September 2019 - 6:45pm to 9:00pm
Where: NCSU College of Textiles, 1020 Main Campus Dr., Room 2207
[https://trilug.org/meetings/]
Parking: Underground parking deck immediately adjacent to the building
(https://trilug.org/meetings/)
Map: Google Maps will get you close, but use the NCSU College of
Textiles link for proper directions to building
Video:
Speaker notes
Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/trilug/events/mnstrqyzmbqb/

Summary

What are logs? What are metrics? A look into the challenges you face
when building log aggregation pipelines, and how to build an operable
and efficient pipeline at any scale. Also a collection of best
practices for using metrics for health and alerting and optimizing
both metrics and logs for successful observability.

We continue our series of talks on monitoring systems, services, and
networks. If you have sat on last month's presentation, you might also
appreciate this one. After all, the more we know about what they are
up to, the better we can keep them running smoothly.

Bio

Jack, a Senior Operations Engineer at 42Lines, has just shy of 20
years experience in Linux/UNIX system administration leading into the
DevOps practices currently in use today. He's architected backend,
scalable systems for universities with more than 100,000 users and
companies with millions of users worldwide. The last several years he
has focused on building and deploying telemetry based monitoring,
alerting, and analysis tools such as Prometheus, Thanos, Grafana, and
Graphite. Turns out that metrics can be quite powerful when used with
best practices. Jack has always enjoyed math and has found his passion
in working with time series data, statistical analysis, and in
training others to get the best use of their metric data.

Breandan has been working in UNIX and Linux operations for almost 20
years. As a Senior Operations Engineer at 42Lines, he currently
focuses on distributed systems and log aggregation at scale, building
aggregation pipelines that handle hundreds of terabytes of log data a
day. He has spent considerable time working for academic institutions
and traveling internationally.

Sponsor
TriLUG Members Like YOU! Thank you!