[Trilug-ontopic] need to program a series of LED lights

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:14:57 EST 2008

Using an embedded Linux box I'd like program a string of tri-state LED
lights.  I'd like to synchronize the lights to music (this is for a
miniature town a friend is building for God only knows why).

I have *NO IDEA* how to go forward with this and I further have no idea how
the embedded computer would interface with the lights to turn them
on/off/colors.

Has anybody done anything like this?  What did you do and how did you do
it?  Did you look the LEDs up to a serial port and set pin voltages?  What
language did you use?  C?  Java?

Any pointers would be greatly appreaciated.

Greg