[TriLUG] migrating list

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Mar 14 22:17:17 EST 2001

Kevin says:
> I've been extra busy - it's been a wacked out week.

I hear ya

> But it looks damn good so far.

Thanks

> Hmm. Maybe we should :
> (1) get trilug at trilug.org on the list at franklin and vice versa, so as to
> disrupt traffic as little as possible.

Watch out for those wicked mail loops

> (2) Update the web pages to point to this list instead f franklin for
> subscribe/unsubscribe

Yeah

> (3) Add users 1-75 to this list and remove them from franklin
> (4) repeat for 76-150, 151-225 over the next few days, making sure
> everyone migrates OK.

Sounds pretty convoluted for the small amount of people we're talking about
here.

> (5) turn off the mirror to franklin, and get the archives from the old
> list onto our server

Hmmmmmmmmmm I dunno if Mailman will handle the old archives or not.  May
need to split into two URL's for archives (one pre-move and one post-move).

> Sound like a plan?

Minor revision suggestions, to simplify (borrowing heavily from yours):

1) Send out an announcement with our plan and timeline to subscribers.
2) Do a stealth subscribe of all 225 users.  At this point we discontinue
test messages.
3) Update trilug.org web page to point to Mailman instead of franklin.
4) Back up the franklin list config
5) Kill the franklin list
6) Set up a forwarder from the old list addy to the new one.
7) Move the old archives over (if anyone here is a Python wizard and has
some time I'll bet we can get them converted to the pipermail format that
Mailman uses.........)

I think a quick cutover from the old list to the new would be a lot more
painless and avoid weird interractions between the two lists, as well as
extra (maybe unnecessary) work.  Thoughts?