[TriLUG] RE:wireless networking, still

Ilan Volow raskinite at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 16:14:36 EDT 2001

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Mark Pilgrim wrote:
>
> > I don't know why I didn't think of this before,
> but I still have the
> > on-board ethernet card (which Redhat 7.1 installer
> correctly configured
> > -- I ran a cable (grin) from the router to the
> on-board jack and it
> > worked automagically).  The PCMCIA card is sitting
> in a PCI adapter and
> > is the *second* network card, and I have no idea
> how to set up two
> > network cards.  I set up wireless.opts as you
> suggested, but when I
> > insert the card nothing happens; no beep, nothing.
>  When I run
> > "cardmgr", a message shows up in /var/log/messages
> that pcmcia is not
> > in /proc/devices.  What else do I have to do?
>
> turn on pcmcia. probably edit /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
> and put these lines
> in:
>
> PCMCIA=yes
> PCIC=i82365
>
> - donald
>

> ATTACHMENT part 3.3 message/rfc822
> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:09:55 -0400
> From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney
> <alchemist at darkcanvas.com>
> To: trilug at trilug.org
> Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Wireless networking, still
>
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 02:36:04PM -0400, Donald
> Ball spoke thusly:
> > turn on pcmcia. probably edit
> /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and put these lines
> > in:
> >
> > PCMCIA=yes
> > PCIC=i82365
>

> And he should probably make sure he has a card
> config for the second
> ethernet card :
>
> cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1
>
> HTH, YMMV...
>
> --

Another issue is whether the PCMCIA-to-PCI adapter has
a PCI version higher than the motherboard. When I set
up my wireless network last year, the PCI adapter
didn't work. Turns out the motherboard was just PCI
version 2.1 compliant, and that adapter required at
least version 2.2. I had to settle for an
PCMCIA-to-ISA adapter instead.

--Ilan