[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.1 out in Beta

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Wed Aug 22 09:56:45 EDT 2001

jeremyp at pobox.com [jeremyp at pobox.com] wrote:

> I know this is a stupid question, but what is the benefit of a
> "journaling" filesystem?  What does that do that everyone is so excited
> about?  :)

How about this: No need to ever fsck.  No need to ever fsck that 80GB
partition.  Oooooooooo.

Basicly, if the system crashes, the journal takes care of making sure
the changes that were in the queue are properly committed when the
system reboots.

Of course, if your system -never- crashes, you don't need a
journaled filesystem...

Mike
--
Never trust a man who puts anything other than a finger up his nose. - _Snatch_