[TriLUG] KDE 2.2 upgrade jitters

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Aug 24 14:17:03 EDT 2001

On Saturday 25 August 2001 07:39 am, you wrote:
> I'm getting the exact same error trying to install it to a K6-2 450.  It
> worked fine on my P3 though.
>

> > Did you compile with optimizations for a specific CPU?  Everything
> > runs fine on my Ahtalon, but I'm getting the following error when
> > I try to start KDE 2.2 with startx on my Pentium.
> >
> > /usr/bin/startkde: line 174:  1179 Illegal instruction     (core dumped)
> > LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit
> > Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.

I didn't realize that /usr/bin/startkde was a bash script.  Line 174 is the
line displayed in the error message "LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit".

I also notice that the log I captured from my rpm -Uvh *.rpm has the
following error

##################################################/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.93383:
line 2:  1892 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) kbuildsycoca >&/dev/null

I ran
$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca
kdelibs-2.2-5.2

So I tried reinstalling the kdelibs RPM.  No luck.

KDE help says

KBuildsycoca
KBuildsycoca is a command line program and regenerates the so-called KSycoca.
This is for example useful if some or all modules in KControl are missing.
See also: KSyCoCa

KSyCoCa
KSyCoCa (KDE Sy tem Co nfiguration Ca che) is a configuration cache which
guarantees for example fast access to the menu entries.

That doesn't really tell me much, unless the reinstall of kdelibs skipped
running the kbuildsycoca because it was created with the initial (failed)
install and the system configuration cache is corrupt.

---Tom