[TriLUG] A little off topic

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 6 16:47:14 EDT 2001

I, for one, am not sure that I want Microsoft broken up.  As much as it
sounds like it could be great, I have yet to here a completely credible
plan that could guarantee good behavior in the future.  Also, I do tend
to dislike the hand of government deciding what is right or wrong in the
software industry.  Some of Microsoft's products are good, some are VERY
bad.  IE for the Macintosh is an exceptional web browser.  Windows is a
shoddy OS, but 2k has delivered more stability and better performance.
I would perfer to see MS made to behave rather than rip a company apart.
The bells were ripped apart, but they weren't physically located
together, MS is.

1.	Prevent the forcing of actions on the OEMs.  No M$ fee for every
computer sold regardless of whether it has Windows.  Also, allow OEMs to
bundle or reject software from the PC and/or desktop at will.
2.	Put severe limitations on MS's ability to acquire other
companies/products for some amount of time.

Those are 2 of my big desires, but I have more :)

I tend to dislike government action, but am somewhat torn on this issue.
The two things I don't want are the government getting a taste for
controlling the tech industry or for MS to continue on with its
destructive behavior.

Bill