[TriLUG] Configuring disks under Linux

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Sep 24 14:20:12 EDT 2001

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 07:30 am, you wrote:
> What type of controller is it running on, VIA? Intel? Make sure you have
> support for it compiled into your kernel.

The motherboard (ABit KT7A-RAID) book says that it's a VIA Apollo KT133A
chipset.  (It also has a HighPoint HPT370 that I'm not currently using.

Believe it or not, I've run and maintained my boxes since 1998 without ever
mucking with/recompiling the kernel. :)  How do I check that support for it
is compiled into the kernel?

> For the time being I'm tracking Rik's VM instead of Linus/Andrea's
> mainline ones. The -ac tree also has the advantage of being a bit more
> stable for me and allows me to pass ``append="ide0=ata100"'' (which
> Linus's doesn't) to LILO.

Ick.  I just need a secure and moderately stable box for my own development
work.  I hope never to have to track some specific version of the kernel tree.

---Tom