[TriLUG] Web Usage Tracking...

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Sep 27 19:03:49 EDT 2001

Jon Carnes wrote:
> Right away, you'll be able to peg the folks who are using "instant
> messager", they will have one session on port 80 for every person in
> their discussion list.  What a poorly designed app.

Excuse me?  What type of IM are you talking about?  AIM uses
a server achitecture where you only connect to the server.
There are two protocols you can use with it: TOC and OSCAR.
TOC uses the port 9898 and OSCAR uses 5190.  It doesn't use port
80 at all (caveat: I have not tested this using a "Direct
Connection", but direct connections are so rarely used I don't
consider it an issue).

So, please, tell me.  What IM application are you referring to?

Tanner--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
  Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little
  order, will lose both and deserve neither.  --  Benjamin Franklin

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989