[TriLUG] compat-egcs on Red Hat 7.1

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Oct 3 07:01:34 EDT 2001

Okay.  I'm a bit confused.  I'm not sure what part I'm missing, but I must
not be doing *something* right.

I want to use the compat-egcs* to compile some code.  I have the following
RPMs installed (not sure if I need others)

$ rpm -qa | grep -i compat
compat-libs-6.2-3
nss_db-compat-2.2-3
compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.14
compat-egcs-g77-6.2-1.1.2.14
kde1-compat-1.1.2-8
compat-egcs-c++-6.2-1.1.2.14
compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2
compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.14
kde1-compat-devel-1.1.2-8
compat-egcs-objc-6.2-1.1.2.14

First, I ran
$ g++ -o modules/test/hello_world modules/test/hello_world.cxx
And the program works as expected.

Then, to switch over to using the compat-* stuff, I ran
$ . /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh

followed by

$ g++ -o modules/test/hello_world modules/test/hello_world.cxx
/tmp/ccyBRP4n.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccyBRP4n.o(.text+0x9): undefined reference to `printf(char const *,...)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Suddenly, printf has is unavailable to the linker!  I'm not sure what's going
on here, and I'm finding little documentation about how I'm supposed to use
this stuff.  Does anyone have any suggestions/pointers?

* I've got Oracle 8.1.7 installed on this box, and it required the
compat-egcs to build some of its stuff.  Since I'll be linking against the
Oracle libraries, I am assuming that I should also be compiling with the
compat-egcs packages.

Thanks,
---Tom