[TriLUG] Sawfish and RH 7.1

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Mon Oct 8 14:43:56 EDT 2001

jeremyp at pobox.com wrote:

> I don't know much about the workings of Gnome and Sawfish,
> but it seems that you could example the source RPMs for
> the RedHat packages... look at the .spec file and see how
> they build them.  Then, build your own RPM with the updated
> source, to take advantage of the management that the RPM
> database provides.

That's probably what I'm going to try if all else fails.
Assuming, of course, that the 0.36 spec file will work
with the 1.0 Sawfish sources (there are multiple tarballs
in Sawfish 0.36!)..

> maybe RPM is a possible talk topic for the future?
> I'm not volunteering though.  :)

I might.  That makes two possible topics for me to
yak about: Apache and RPM.  The new reprint of Maximum RPM
rocks, btw.

> I've found that the Mandrake versions are usually more
> up to date, and their source RPMS generally work fine
> with my various RH systems using --rebuild to resolve
> library differences.

Tried that, no joy -- the mdk 1.0 RPM (even the source)
has dependencies on other mdk packages.  Bah.

Building a 1.0 RPM from the 1.0 sources and the 0.36 spec
file looks like the best bet so far..
--
#ken	P-)}