[TriLUG] IMAP problem

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Thu Oct 11 10:38:14 EDT 2001

IMAP isn't your problem with sending mail - it does mail delivery only.
You need to look at sendmail for, well, sending mail.

In order to allow one person to send mail through your machine, you will
either need to turn on relaying (bad idea, can be used for spamming and
could land you in one of the many email blackholes), or set up something
like Cyrus SASL to allow authenticated relaying.

--Wade

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Michael Sharp wrote:

> I need to run a IMAP server for an individual to get/receive his email remotely and have IMAP running. This person can connect to the IMAP server and receive mail, but cant connect to the IMAP server and send email to another remote email address. He can however send email to a user on the same host as the IMAP server. Users on the same host as the IMAP server can get AND receive email.
>
> The IMAP server is running on pandora.dynip.com and the username on the account is " michael ". So the person set the IMAP server name as pandora.dynip.com, put in the username as michael, set it as a IMAP server, set the outgoing SMTP server as pandora.dynip.com, and the outgoing SMTP username as michael.
>
> The hostname and the domain of the server is pandora.dynip.com.
> Here is the error he is getting when trying to send remote mail from the IMAP server:
>
> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server.  Server Response: '550.5.7.1<msharp at email.com> Relaying denied'... (Account:'pandora.dynip.com', SMTP Server:'pandora.dynip.com',
> Error Number: 0x800ccc79).
>
> I added pandora.dynip.com to /etc/mail/relay-domains and rebuilt the sendmail.cf and this didnt work. Any ideas?
>
> Michael

> Talk More, Pay Less with Net2Phone Direct(R), up to 1500 minutes free!
> http://www.net2phone.com/cgi-bin/link.cgi?143

Do your part in the fight against injustice.
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org/
Fight the DMCA!  http://www.anti-dmca.org/