[TriLUG] Deb vs. RPM (was Icecast.conf and debian)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Oct 16 00:12:57 EDT 2001

Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Thanks - I'm concerned about moving to testing for my office machine,
> because I really need it rock-solid. And the 1.3.11 deb package requires a
> higher libc6 than is in potato. So for now I'm going to stick with the
> source build.  Once the shift is made and 1.3.11 is in stable, I'll
> revisit.

Not to start any flamewars, but... O:-)

I run into this problem a lot whenever I want to install
a package from the experimental version of Mandrake (Cooker).
Since I don't install Cooker on my machine (I usually have
a stable version installed), very often the newer version
will be compiled with newer libraries.  As long as they're
still source compatible, I can just grab the source rpm
and type

rpm --rebuild rpmname-version-release.src.rpm

and it will rebuild the rpm for me (using the libraries
already installed).  I can then install the rpm and gain
all the benefits that come with using a package manager.

I don't know anything about debian, so can someone tell me...
Is there something equivalent for Debian packages?  Is it
as easy to use?

Also, I was curious... The person that volunteered to
do the presentation on RPM.  Are you planning on focusing
on the Redhat version of RPM?  The Mandrake version is
slightly different (whether it's better or not is a
matter of opinion).  If you'd like some help with the
presentation, I'd be willing to talk about the Mandrake
"extras" for RPM....

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989