[TriLUG] Deb vs. RPM (was Icecast.conf and debian)

Haim Dimermanas dudle at linuxroot.org
Tue Oct 16 00:35:09 EDT 2001

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
[...]
> Not to start any flamewars, but... O:-)

Ah. Talking about flame, I remember this post (that was funny):

http://dudle.linuxroot.org/flame.html

BTW, isn't there any good web site that keep tracks of all the great
flamewars?

> I run into this problem a lot whenever I want to install
> a package from the experimental version of Mandrake (Cooker).
> Since I don't install Cooker on my machine (I usually have
> a stable version installed), very often the newer version
> will be compiled with newer libraries.  As long as they're
> still source compatible, I can just grab the source rpm
> and type
>
> rpm --rebuild rpmname-version-release.src.rpm

[...]

> I don't know anything about debian, so can someone tell me...

- Change your /etc/apt/sources.list by s/(stable|potato)/unstable/g
- remove security.debian.org
- apt-get update
- apt-get -b source <package>

> Is there something equivalent for Debian packages?  Is it
> as easy to use?

Ease of use is a matter of taste.

IMHO, keep stable for servers and workstations. Use unstable at home. Also,
don't always depend on a package. If you have a web server, install Apache
from tarball. A DNS server, install bind from tarball. It's easier in the
long run. The best thing is a custom deb repository but that's on the list
:-)

	Haim.
--
http://dudle.linuxroot.org