[TriLUG] RedHat Linux 7.2

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 29 14:25:39 EST 2001

From: "Vestal, Roy L." <rvestal at rti.org>
To: <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 2:08 PM
Subject: RE: [TriLUG] RedHat Linux 7.2

> How did you do the migration? I'm running MD 8.0 and I'd like to switch to
> RH 7.2, but I'm not sure how to keep my home stuff without having to do a
> full backup, wipe the drive and reinstall, then restore the stuff i want.
Is
> there a better way?

The best way is to start with vol /home being a separate partition.  Then
when you upgrade or re-install, just don't format that partition (but do
re-assign it as /home.  I also like to move my user directory to a new name
before re-installing.  that way I can look at the defaults it puts in my
empty user directory (and then integrate those with my current settings...).

Good Luck

BTW: wouldn't you like to tryout MD8.1 *before* jumping ship back to RH7.2?