[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Mon Oct 29 23:49:59 EST 2001

On Monday 29 October 2001 10:40 pm, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:
> First up, one of the things I *LIKE* about the Madrake, Debian, and
> pre Anaconda RedHat installers is the ability to see what setp I'm on,
> and how many are left. While the help bar on the left is nice, I much
> prefer the way mandrake has "help" as an option button, and the
> install task list on the left.

Hmm...we have had some requests for a step list in the past and we've not
done it for a couple of reasons.  The main one is that the screen is already
a little crowded with the help text on the screen.  The jump in screen
resolution from 640x480 to 800x600 in 7.1 make this a little better, but
things are still tight.  A secondary reason is that we couldn't decide how
useful it would be.  I think it would be useful, but less so than the help
text, especially to a new user.

The usability studies we've done show that Linux newbies really use the help
text, so I'd be reluctant to hide that somehow.  We will consider this
feature for a future release.

> PS - glad to see that you're not being worked to death over at the
> Hat. I *DO* miss having you and Tammy show up at meetings. Hope all is
> well with the two of you!

Who says we're not getting worked to death?  You won't catch me saying
that...  ;)

Brent