[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 30 20:55:20 EST 2001

And the fact that Mandrake recognizes more varied hardware than Redhat
undoubtedly earns it the distribution of choice for desktop users as many
magazines say in the awards they hand out. I tell my friends that if you
want a desktop system get Mandrake, but if you want a server get Redhat
(because Redhat has become THE system for most of corporate America!).
Actually the fact that we have two distributions each specializing in
producing installations tailored for two different groups is really great,
all the more so since Mandrake (unlike Debian, for example) uses the same
RPM system of loading software. Still I would like to see Redhat improve
it's loading software. My goal whenever I load any operating system is that
the O.S. has installed every piece of hardware available on my system!! and
produces a working O.S. (of course). The times I've used RedHat vs.
Mandrake, Mandrake has consistently installed more of my hardware correctly
than Red Hat (because Red Hat usually required the use of software OUTSIDE
the initial installation process to install things like modems, sound cards,
printers, CD-RW's, etc. In other words, items which are not usually found on
Servers!!