[TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Thu Nov 1 15:50:15 EST 2001

On Thursday 01 November 2001 01:26 pm, Marc Johnson wrote:
> > > As for his woes installing RH7.2 ... been there, done that. I've had no
> > >end
> > > of crappy installs just like what he describes - frozen systems, CDs
> >that
> > > won't boot, installations that dump core, you name it. Currently I'm in
> > > love with my Mandrake 8.0 system. Why? Because it was an install that
> > > worked the first time I tried it. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
> >
> >Wait a minute...you said earlier that you hadn't tried 7.2...
>
> True; but I've experienced similar problems with other distributions
> though. This is just more of the same. I've given up on Red Hat because of
> these kinds of problems. This is not a new "feature".

If you are seeing cd's the won't boot, you are not even getting to the
installer.  If the cd's aren't readable, then there's no hope of a good
install.  It's not Red Hat's fault if the user downloads an ISO that gets
corrupted, or if their CD burner burns a bad disc.  If you get a bad retail
cd, then there was a problem at the production house...take it back and swap
it for a new one.

Did you enter a bug in Bugzilla for any of these failed installs?  Otherwise,
we don't know about it.  If we don't know about it, we can't fix it.  We are
not all-knowing, all-seeing.

> It works on some systems, not on the columnist's. And, as the followup
> article points out, he's not running some obscure off-the-wall
> configuration, it's an off-the-shelf Dell system. I recall that in the
> original article he discovered that there were some known problems ... and
> my response is: then FIX them. If you know your software can't work with
> certain hardware configurations, either work around the problem, or come up
> with a more elegant and friendly solution than locking up or dumping core.

This is my complaint...he doesn't give a URL or anything to back up his
claims.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

First off, I couldn't get the installation CD to run. I re-booted about
eight times, but it just spun up and died, and went to the next boot device.
On the Red Hat support site I found an article explaining that when a CD-ROM
is connected to an IDE controller (just like mine), the program has
'problems'.

Can someone please show me where on the Red Hat site it says that 7.2 has
problems with IDE cdrom drives?  Look, I see *every single bug* that comes in
for anaconda, and the "problem" with IDE cdrom drives with 7.2 he is
referring to just doesn't exist.  He is either confused about what version he
is talking about or he is just making things up.

There was a problem with 7.1 in that the boot kernel enabled DMA transfers by
default.  This caused problems with *some* cdrom drives that couldn't do DMA,
but instead of falling back to non-DMA mode, they just behaved strangely
(usually I/O errors).  Booting the installer with 'linux ide=nodma' solved
the problem.  With 7.2, the kernel team disabled DMA in the boot kernel to
avoid the problem.  Problem found, problem fixed.

> >If the problems you are talking about are related to faulty hardware, how
> >would you propose to fix the problem via software?
>
> If the defective hardware can be detected, then do so, and either work
> around the defect, or report, in clear language, exactly what the problem
> is.

Look, I've talked to the guy.  I know what kind of machine he's running on.
Except for the nVidia card, it is almost identical to my machine at work.
Dell is one of our biggest corporate partners.  We have labs full of Dell
machines.  We test the hell out of Dell's hardware, so the people that say
that Red Hat Linux doesn't work on Dell boxes don't know what they are
talking about.

I offered to help the guy debug the problem.  I asked him what he saw on VC4