[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sat Nov 3 21:07:59 EST 2001

On Saturday, November 03 2001, Brent Fox said:
> On Saturday 03 November 2001 04:21 pm, Mark Pilgrim wrote:
> > Do not, under any circumstances, force a novice user to choose between
> > installing the bootloader on the MBR and on the boot sector.  If it makes a
> > difference what version of Windows I have, go figure that out, then make
> > the appropriate choice for me without asking.
>
> Agreed.  Probably the vast majority of people select the default, which is
> MBR.  The version of Windows installed should not matter.

Unfortunately, the problem here isn't the version of Windows.  The
problem is that with *some* laptops you have to install to the partition
to keep their suspend-to-disk stuff working.  Or if they're using Boot
Magic.  Or other fun things like that.   It's hard enough definitively
verify that GRUB or LILO is being used, much less other arbitrary
boot loaders :(

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D