[TriLUG] THURS: Free Software's Eben Moglen @ UNC

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 7 10:06:44 EST 2001

> so ... not only do i persuade prof. moglen to add an extra talk to his
> public speaking schedule, scout out venues *and* get a couple of other
> folks to pitch in and help get this organized ... i should do *your*
> job as well?  i'll remember this the next time i stupidly decide to
> organize something for the benefit of the membership.
>
> publicly, i'd like to praise the work that lisa lorenzin and jeremy
> portzer have done, way above and beyond the call of duty, in helping
> me pull this together.  y'all might want to thank them the next time
> you run into them.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  for details, as i said, go to www.ncsysadmin.org.  still nothing
> up at www.trilug.org.

Dude, I thought I was a volunteer...

If you thought my post was arrogant, I apologize.  What makes TriLUG and
any volunteer organization work is folks who care enough to donate their
time and efforts.

Your positive focus on the Eben Moglen talk has pulled many things together
and made it happen.  We are all about to appreciate your efforts.

Yes the website needs more dedicated attention.  The steering committee
would like to have volunteers to help with its maintenance and feeding.  So
anyone who cares enough to complain, I'm going to recruit for help.

As I guy who has been putting in 80hr weeks at his other job (the one that
feeds my family), I understand if you have other commitments that keep you
from committing your time to yet another public service task.

The steering committee's focus over the last few weeks has been in finding
another speaker for Nov. (since our RPM speaker got called out of town for
an extended period of time and needed to delay), and on mapping out ways to
raise funds for our organization.  I currently have a tenative deal with
Time Warner to provide TS on a volunteer basis for some of their smaller
clients.  In turn they would donate $50/hr to TriLUG.  I'm not willing to
commit our Organization to anything more than I myself am willing to do, so
the deal is only tenative for now.

We currently have about $400 in the bank.  That's enough to sponsor your
talk, and to host two more meetings.

Others on the Steering Committe (and on the Education sub-committee) have
been focused on helping out a local Charter School - and still others have
newborns that keep them from typing complete sentences on their keyboards
while trying to respond to email.

We all appreciate your focus on the Eben Moglen talk, but please don't
condemn myself and the others on the Steering Committee if our focus is not
the same as yours.

BTW:  I think you would make an excellent addition to the Steering
Committee, should you decide to run (I think the elections are in May...)

And on a personal note: I believe that Lisa has some personal deal with
Chronos, and he's been slipping her a spare hour every day or two!  She
certainly earns her gold star every day.

Jon Carnes