[TriLUG] even more interesting

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 08:55:08 EST 2001

>From: Chris Merrill <cmerrill at nc.rr.com>

>al johson said:
> > To make matters funnier still,  the first PC DOS and BASIC was actually
>not
> > created by Microsoft at all, but purchased from another company. Now you
> > know why Microsoft can scarcely be called "innovative". As those who

>Absolutely...wasn't the original Windows a rip-off of some psuedo-graphical
>shell (like Norton PC Commander, maybe)?

And the first DOS was bought to a hardware company, where their engineers
had developed a pretty dummy OS called "Dummy OS". Bill Gates bought it when
they discovered that they were unable to build an OS in time for IBM, of
course they didn't tell that to the engineers. And they renamed the OS to
"Disc OS".

> > companies at the time who actually did their computing on Commodore 64's
>,
> > Commodore Pets, TI's and lots of other computers you've probably never
> > heard of.

>Aaahh yes, the Commodore PET.  That's the first computer I ever used...and
>where I learned BASIC.  I didn't think anyone else remembered them!

My first one was a Sinclair Spectrum. With a full 48k of RAM. Those were the
days... Any my first real OS was CP-M on a Toshiba computer of some sort.

Salut,
Sinner