[TriLUG] even more interesting

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 8 06:35:35 EST 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Matt Jezorek wrote:

> > Search on GPL.  Very interesting.  M$ takes a degree of credit for
> > opensource and that opensource is good kinda because later it can be made
> > commercial but GPL is bad....  (stiffles innovation you know)
>
> Okay. I am not a MS endorsee or do I appreciate everything BG has
> done. But you do have to give him credit where credit deserves. Bill
> has make the average pc reasonably priced.

that depends on how you define the "average pc."  if you're referring
strictly to the underlying hardware, it should be obvious to anyone that
prices have been plummeting while the evolution of the PC itself over
the last decade has been nothing short of breathtaking.  and the reason?
competition.   absolutely cutthroat, dog-eat-dog competition in the
reseller market.  dell, compaq, gateway ... many others fighting for
your dollar.  *that's* what competition is all about.  the end result
is that the consumer pretty much always wins.

if you're referring to the OS, however, it should be obvious that
the windows OS has not progressed anywhere near as quickly in terms
of increasing features or decreasing price.  and the obvious reason --
a near total lack of competition.  why improve your product when there's
no market pressure?  why lower the price when there's no competition?

finally, now that linux is actually on microsoft's radar screen, they're
actually having to improve their products.  and have you noticed the
sudden increase in microsoft advertising in the trade mags?  i'm pretty
sure i'm not imagining the increased number of ads pushing MS software.

anyway, let's give bill gates the credit and the blame for a couple
of things:

1) he made the personal computer uniquitous
2) he effectively killed any real innovation in an entire industry

rday