[TriLUG] DirecTV DSL anyone?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:52:56 EST 2001

>From: Don Brady <dbrady at pobox.com>

>I also have them, and think they are the best choice among BellSouth area
>low-cost DSL providers.

Really? How much is low cost?

The monthly payments will be the same as what I am paying now for BellSouth
ADSL ($49/mo)

Right now, with BellSouth, I can (and I have done, and then undone b/c the
'thingy') setup my mail, http, sshd, ftp servers no problem. Maybe they are
not that open about what they let you do with your machines, but I can do
(almost) everything. Well, if you do not considere a problem the "thou
shallt only haffe a dynamique IP" thingy....

My speed is great (1.3Mbps d.s./240Kbps u.s.). I have had no technical
problems (maybe because I use Linux as my home router), the billing has gone
OK, I only have had about 5 hours of downtime in a year...

The only thing is the fixed IP (yes! domain name!). And possibly better
newsgroups access.

Can you get access to those newsgroups with those guys?

es.comp.os.linux.instalacion
es.comp.os.linux.misc
es.comp.os.linux.redes
es.comp.os.linux.programacion

So, should I just call BellSouth and threaten them to leave their service
unless I get a fixed IP? You know, e-mail switch nightmare...

Salut,
Sinner