[TriLUG] Verizon DSL Connection Problems

Robert Floyd r.floyd3 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 18 17:12:21 EST 2001

On Sunday 18 November 2001 11:51, Steve wrote:

> I have just gotten DSL from Verizon and all appears to
> be working fine, from M$ Windows.... but I am having
> troubles using pppoe from Linux.  Does anyone else in
> the Durham area have Verizon DSL working?  If so I'd
> really appreciate any advice you can offer.  There must
> be an easy fix, only being a DSL and PPPOE newbie I am
> struggling to find it.

I know you won't want to hear this, but I've had no problems with my Verizon
DSL connection under Linux. In fact, it's been even easier than under that
other OS. I don't bother to configure it at all. In my experience, it's been
truly plug and play (under RH, Mandrake and SuSe). The only problem I have is
with Pan occasionally taking forever to connect to the news server, but I
think that's a Verizon problem.

BTW, looking back, I notice you're trying to use pppoe. I've never had to
touch that to connect to Verizon. Perhaps you're making more trouble for
yourself than you need (or, perhaps I'm even more ignorant about what's going
on behind the scenes than I think <g>).

Good luck,
Robert

Robert Floyd
Durham, NC
"Extremism in the pursuit of OTR is no vice."