[TriLUG] Verizon DSL Connection Problems

Marty Ferguson marty.ferguson at pobox.com
Sun Nov 18 23:00:58 EST 2001

Yes, Steve, Robert is right

With DSL, many of the WAN interfaces (Modem/Router combined)
also have built in DHCP services.  Just set your Linux box up
as a *DHCP* client, and when you boot up, the  DHCP server will
hand your Linux host an IP address, and will set the default gateway
on your eth0 interface to be the IP address of the WAN router.

After you boot, check your routing tables:
(BEST WHEN VIEWED IN Courier typeface)

# route
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.200.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         YOUR.WAN.BOX  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

It should look like this.  In the last line, the UG in the FLAGS column says
that the interface is Up and the host YOUR.WAN.BOX is the gateway.

There are other things that the DHCP server can also hand your Linux host,
such as the primary and 2ndary nameservers.

Check  your /etc/resolv.conf
# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver  68.22.43.119

and you should see *at least* one IP address listed (the primary).

It should work like a charm.  And yes, as Robert says, you don't need PPPOE,
because you don't need to establish a point-to-point network interface
to anything.  For all practical purposes,  you are on a "direct path" to the
internet.

This is why you should really study up on how to lock down your Linux box,
and run the firewall on it.  People who have watched their cable modem and DSL
connections to the internet have seen lots of port scans every day, meaning
many someones (pl.) are running scripts to so that they can subsequently
attempt to break into your computer.

Have fun,
Marty