[TriLUG] question about xine

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 19 04:40:28 EST 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> rpjday wrote:
>
> >   ok, i've downloaded and installed xine (along with its prerequisite
> > libdvdcss and libdvdread libs), manually created a /dev/dvd file and
> > symlinked it to /dev/scd0, my dvd/cd-rw drive.
> >
> >   when i run xine, sure enough, i get the ui, but when i press play,
> > i get
> >
> >   xine-panel: PLAY
> >   xine_play: xine open xine-ui version ... blah blah ...
> >   xine: cannot find input plugin for this MRL
> >
> > the dvd was automatically mounted at /mnt/cdrom1, and has a directory
> > structure of
> >
> >   audio_ts  video_ts
> >
> > and inside of video_ts, there are numerous .vob files, so that part
> > looks good.  what trivial initialization step am i missing?  thanks.
> >
> > rday
>
>  From the xine FAQ:
>
> > To play that VOB file use something like
> >
> > xine dvd://VTS_xx_x.VOB
> >
> > make sure you do not supply any path name (no VIDEO_TS/) and use
> > capital letters for the file name.
> >
> > xine tries to open the dvd using /dev/cdrom. On freebsd this will only
> > work if you create a symlink to your dvd-devicenode for the time being.
>

> If you want it, however, to work like a normal dvd player,
> try using the dvdnav plugin
> (http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-dvdnav.shtml)
>
> This allows you to run xine like this:
>

> xine dvdnav://
>
> and it should act like a normal dvd player...

ha!  forget xine.  i did, in fact, get that far, then xine bailed,
complaining that these were decss-encoded dvds.

so i downloaded and installed ogle.  no problems with install,
just typed "ogle", and we were off and running.  at the moment, i'm
watching an early episode of "thunderbirds."  in super-marionation,
for those of you old enough to remember it.

xine has nothing on ogle.

rday