[TriLUG] question about xine

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Nov 19 15:31:39 EST 2001

rpjday wrote:

> ha!  forget xine.  i did, in fact, get that far, then xine bailed,
> complaining that these were decss-encoded dvds.
>
> so i downloaded and installed ogle.  no problems with install,
> just typed "ogle", and we were off and running.  at the moment, i'm
> watching an early episode of "thunderbirds."  in super-marionation,
> for those of you old enough to remember it.
>
> xine has nothing on ogle.

The problem is that xine started out as a generic mpeg2 player.
People saw that this could easily be adapted to play dvds (which
are essentially mpeg2 files) and did so.  The xine development
team, however, doesn't want to go through the legal hassle some
other people have gone through, and since the legal status of
the decss derived code is somewhat in question (unfortunately!),
they have decided that the base xine product will, at the moment,
not support css encrypted dvds.  They did, however, make a plugin
architechture robust enough that other people have provided
plugins to decode css encrypted dvds.

DVD navigation code is an entirely different matter.  Most linux
dvd players have concentrated entirely on playback up to this
point.  DVD navigation has been considered something that could
be done, once the basic stuff was finished.  By and large, this
has now been finished and you therefore see some people only
now coming out with code to read the navigation data on dvds.
Ogle was the first player to include such functionality.  Xine
has since followed suit with the dvdnav plugin, and I assume
that if mplayer has not, they soon will.

I would be interested to see, however, what state the ogle
navigation code is in.  Last I checked, ogle was difficult
to compile (due to the library requirements) and was missing
a few things (like overlays).  Is this still the case?  I
would not be surprised if it were not given the pace of
development these days.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989