[TriLUG] status - linux install on a mac clone (umax c500/apus 2000)

H Brett Bolen brettb at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 17:31:35 EST 2001

Bill/Trilugr's,

It's still not running yet.

My first step is to put mac os on this box.  It did not come with any
software, so I found somebody to make me a copy of the c500 boot
cdrom.  They burnt it and sent it to me.

When I use it ( boot with 'c' pressed and cdrom inserted ), nothing
happens.  I get a floppy with a question mark in the center of the
display.  The mouse cursor rolls around.  With or without the
cdrom inserted the result is the same.  If i put in a dos formated
disk, it spits it back out and puts an X in the floppy.

My three theories are:

   1.  The cdrom is bad or so old it won't read from burnt CDRs.
   2.  The keyboard is bad, and it doesn't detect the 'C' being
        pressed.
   3.  I'm going to sink alot more time and $ into this project
        than suspected.

I need somebody to help me with this.  Somebody that has a spare
keyboard, maybe a spare cdrom, some bootable cdroms, some
bootable floppies ( if they exist on mac), and some experience
in getting macs running.

I'd like to install a minimal mac os on the box, and verify that
it works first, verify it is a 603e at 200mhz, it has 80Mg memory,
7.5 Gb hard drive, keyboard, cdrom drive, floppy all work.  After
it checks out, I'll move on to put linux on the box.

If I bring this to the next meeting, could you give me a hand?

Things to bring - mac keyboard, mac os 8.0, 8.1, 8.6 ( maybe all
three), floppies with mac software,  a scsi cdrom ( 50pin) if you
have one, a supported ethernet card ( I'll buy one once I know which
one is supported), whatever else might help.

I'm cc'ing trilug maybe I can find another who might lend a hand.

brett bolen

.