[TriLUG] Where Tony found the info he needed to install Debian!! Quoted from Lockergnome's Penguin Shell

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 21 22:11:21 EST 2001

Linux Hardware Database
Unearthed by Eric George

http://lhd.datapower.com/

You know, sometimes I wonder about the order of things in my world. For
example, I got this link after spending way too many hours in an ill-fated
Debian install. I clearly could have used it on Sunday night!

The truth is, I think I got it because I'd spent so many hours with hardware
issues. It's a good thing, too. This site will make the Debian install much,
much easier at the end the the Great Distro Review. Once again, the helpful
Gnome spirit reaches out a hand to help.

In their own words:

This site is a repository of ratings of compatibility and performance of
computer hardware components under Linux. It also includes some information
about device drivers and some hints for getting quirky devices working under
Linux. It could be thought of as a dynamic hardware compatibility, but it is
much more than that.
See how well "Z" works with Linux. Check to see if the new NIC is supported.
Find out how well that SCSI card has worked for other Linux users. Search
for workarounds to get the pesky video card running.

The Linux Hardware Database is all that and more. I searched for the X
server to run my Voodoo 3. Found it. I searched for drivers for my Realtek
8029 network card. Found 'em. I searched for tips on getting the
SoundBlaster Live! running. Found 'em. Until I start working my way through
it again, I can't be sure that the drivers, X server or tips will work for
the Debian install. But it really doesn't matter. Either way, this is going
to be a great resource going forward.