[TriLUG] Re: LUG: problems whith X

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Nov 27 16:03:57 EST 2001

Ed Hill wrote:

> Hi Elliot,
>
> Are you using the sh*tty, unstable, nVidia-provided binary-only X
> driver?  Or are you using the stable, open-source, but not-3D-
> accelerated driver provided as part of the XFree86 project?
>
> You don't specify and it makes a *big* difference.
>
> If you're using the nVidia-provided binary-only driver then Jeremy
> is spot-on.  Its crap and has been so for many versions over many
> months (or has it been years?).

I'm not sure why you believe that, but I've never had any trouble
with it....  And for those of us who do 3D graphics, the open
source drivers just don't cut it.... (as much as we might wish
otherwise).

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989