[TriLUG] MTAs

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 23:49:57 EST 2001

Exim is a fine MTA and one of the many that are recommended by folks who
run high performance mail servers.  It works fine, but can sometimes be
tempermental.

My personal choice is Sendmail, but then I have some experience in tuning a
Sendmail install so that it runs quickly and efficiently.

For you I would recommend Postfix.  Postfix seems to be the best of breed -
 easy to configure and highly optimized for mail delivery.  It also works
well with mass mailing programs like Mailman.
===

The key to getting your MTA to work properly is to setup your DNS properly,
so you might want to make your machine the primary DNS for the domain as
well as the mailserver.  Let Roadrunner run the Secondary DNS for the
domain, and set them up as a secondary MX.

BTW: pop (and imap) are not that hard to setup on your box.  Pop is
remarkably easy, simply turn it on in /etc/inetd.cfg (or xinetd.cfg).

As always, if you need advice, you know where to turn.

Jon