[TriLUG] Re: DNS lookup of Linux server fails intermittently (was: (no subject))

Geoffrey Douglas Purdy gdpurdy at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Nov 30 18:41:37 EST 2001

ohn,

> > The command to reload the DHCP stuff on Win2k is:
> >     ipconfig /renew

Yes, that's the one.

> > Do you have "KeepAlive" turned On for the server?

I'm not sure.  Which server - the apache webserver, the DNS server, or the
DHCP server?

> > Could the machines be
> > getting new addresses while the browser still thinks it has a good
> > connection?

Again, not sure.  I'm going to guess probably not.  As far as I know,
the leases last three days and the problems seem to occur more
frequently than that.  I'll check with the Win sys admin when he's in on
Mon.

> > Then does simply quitting the browser and
> > restarting fix it?

I don't think so, but I'll need to double check on that one too.  I've
not been able to reproduce this problem on my W2K client so I've
generally been looking over the shoulder of the Win sysadmin on other
people's machines.  I know a cold reboot fixes it, but I'm not sure about
a log off / log on or restarting the browser.

> > Is your server running using Virtual Hosts?
No.  All the VirtualHost stuff is commented out (as by default) in the
httpd.conf file.

> > Is the server name set to the FQDN?
The ServerName directive in httpd.conf is commented out.  The docs
indicate that it should be enabled if the server is to return a FQDN other
than the hostname.  Since the FQDN I would be entering is the same as the
FQDN of the host, I have left this commented out.

The hostname of the linux server is set to the FQDN
(myserver.mydomain.com).

> > What do the error logs for the serve show?
The apache access_log shows nothing doesn't show a record of the
unsuccessful attempts to connect to the server.  Nothing unusual
appears in the error_log.

Thanks for your help.