[TriLUG] Scripting Users Group?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Dec 14 13:29:09 EST 2001

On Friday 14 December 2001 06:28 pm, rpjday at mindspring.com wrote:

> i don't think a *general* coders/developers mailing list would be
> all that useful, since it would be ... well, too general.  a forum
> to address all of c, c++, java, perl, python, shell, etc.  is trying
> to cover too many bases at once.

I agree with the other posters.  We wouldn't try to "cover...bases."  If
someone really wants in depth Perl/Python/whatever discussions, they can
always join c.l.python or c.l.perl.misc.  Our list might have language-
specific quesions, such as "Does anyone have an example of Python's nis
module?", and more general questions, such as "I'm trying to script backups
for my Linux system..."

> i much prefer the idea of having a separate mailing list for each
> *linux-related* scripting or programming language.

-1

Part of the fun is chatting with people who use different languages.  One
gets some insight into different approaches and gets a taste for a language
that he may need later.  We could institute a posting policy such as putting
PYTHON or PHP or whatever in the subject of any language-specific question.
That way, people could filter messages if they really wanted.

> there are already well-established forums/lists
> out there for c, c++, java and so on, and they've been there for
> years -- no sense reinventing those now.

I think it's the "community" concept.  Trilug is a local Linux community.  If
someone is trying to use KDevelop for the first time or is comparing JVMs for
Linux or is trying to get PHP working with PostgreSQL, then it's probably the
same community of developers that would help.  We could post without feeling
like half the group was adding us to their spam filters.  The trilug list has
always felt too heavily sys admin in content for my tastes, and I'd be
interested in having a place to post with the other developers in the
group...without cluttering up the mailboxes of the first time users and such.

---Tom