[TriLUG] new developments in docbook/xml

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 17 07:04:35 EST 2001

  i just spent an hour exchanging email with red hat's tim waugh,
who is the primary person working on new developments in docbook and
xml support in red hat.  apparently, i'm going to have to *seriously*
update my mini-doc given recent changes, but let me summarize what
you should do if you want to play with this stuff.

1) upgrade all of your tetex-related rpms to version 1.0.7-38.2,
   available from rawhide.  (i haven't been able to test this yet
   given my limited download bandwidth, but tim assures me you
   really need these latest versions.)

2) upgrade to newer versions of rpms you can find at
   ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/docbook-pkgs
   technically, you don't need to install *all* of these, just
   the ones related to XML and docbook.  but i guess installing/
   upgrading them all wouldn't hurt anything.

3) if you want to experiment with tim's docbook/xml version of his
   docbookx documentation, you can get the newest version from
   www.cyberelk.net/tim/docbook/selfdocbookx.tar.gz.

aside to kevin:  yes, the above should fix the unresolved "chunk"
references.  if anyone wants to try the above sometime soon, please
let me know if it all seems to work cleanly.

rday

--
Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies, Chapel Hill NC