[TriLUG] straw poll - who is running Linux on m68k or macppc hardware?

Robert Weeks robert at woozy.com
Mon Dec 17 08:23:19 EST 2001

I have run LinuxPPC on my G3 laptop in the past, but there came a time when
I needed the hard drive space back so I ditched it until I can get a larger
drive. I was pretty happy with R5 which I think they were calling LinuxPPC
2000. The package management system was RPM if I remember correctly.

I've heard good things about Yellow Dog running on laptops, so that is what
I'll probably end up using when I do put it back on my laptop.

To answer another question; I seem to remember reading somewhere that you
can put OSX on older Macs but you need to jump thru some hoops to do it.
I'll need to look and see if I can find that link somewhere. That said, I
wouldn't bother. When I had OSX running on my G3/400 with 1G or ram it was
pretty s-l-o-w. I now use it as my main OS on a G4 quicksilver and it is
great, but you really need a fast system to run it.

hth,

Robert