[TriLUG] customizing Redhat 7.2 kernel-source rpm

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Thu Dec 20 03:10:15 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:35:51AM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Most likely they are not.  I don't know of any major distribution
> today that installs a stock, straight from Linus (or Marcello :-),
> kernel.  There are always patches.  What I did on my mandrake system
> was to take the .src.rpm from the latest edition of the Mandrake
> cooker (roughly equivalent to RedHat Rawhide).  I would very much
> suggest trying that first.
>
> Also, note that the src.rpm for both Mandrake and Redhat
> build several different kernels.  Mandrake defines easy
> macros so that you can decide not to build certain
> kernels that you don't need.  Does anyone know if Redhat
> offers similar functionality?

Good idea. I think I will try get the latest Rawhide src.rpm tomorrow. I
am having to much trouble converting the 2.4.7-10 src rpm to 2.4.16.

The kernel2.4.spec that comes with 2.4.7 has a bunch of variables for
building different targets. There seems to be a way you can turn them on
and off by using --with/--without <something>. However I could not get
it to work.

Could part of my problems be that I am trying to build the redhat kernel
rpms on a Mandrake 8.0 box?

Thanks again

--
Peter Long