[TriLUG] Linux desktop enthusiasm challenged

Michael Mueller bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 16:55:02 EST 2001

Well I've had quite a day playing with a buggy Evolution 0.13 POP mail
client.  It certainly shows promise.  SHould I pay $30 for the 1.0
release?

The Netscape/Mozilla POP clients were not well geared toward having
multiple POP accounts (I have 8).  Finding other GUI POP clients yields
quite a crop of 0.x.x releases.  Do I have to use Mutt or Pine to get
reliability in a free email client?

I downloaded one of the 0.x.x GUI clients to give it a whirl.  During
the ./configure it complained about not finding glib.  What???  I
selected developer options when I installed.  I even had to rpm
ncurses5-devel-blah-blah to do a make menuconfig.  I did not have these
developer issues with RH6.1.  Where did I screw up?  SHould I reinstall
or go forward and rpm stuff as needed?

Then I thought of trying out the CD player.  GNOME CD player can't read
the music CD well enough to even eject the CD. (sigh...)  I get a
message asking if I compiled in support for CDs.  (Gee, I dunno.  I just
loaded the machine from 3 CDs.) Any hints on playing music CDs?  Start
by reading another HOWTO?  I just want to listen to a CD - not become an
expert on CDs (whine).

Should I reinstall KDE instead of GNOME for a different set of POP
clients and CD players?

Thanks,
Mike