[TriLUG] Unable to run wvdial

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 23 15:09:14 EST 2001

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Barry Ruvio wrote:

> I am unable to run wvdial because of this error:
> no pppd module error (exit code 4)
> When I try to install modules with the command make modules_install I get another error:
> depmod /lib/modules/2.4.0/ System.map 2.4.0 is not an ELF file

2.4.0??  whenever you do a "make modules_install", the make tries to
create a new directory under /lib/modules with the name of the version
of this kernel as you've specified it in the EXTRAVERSION variables at
the top of the Makefile.  2.4.0 is seriously old.  are you sure this
is correct?

> I am using SuSe 7.1
> This error started recently when I tried to make a new kernel.
> I have already tried reinstalling the kernel source tree and made some new kernels.

did you install the source RPM from red hat, or pristine kernel source
from kernel.org?

rday