[TriLUG] Questions about time settings

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Dec 24 23:27:35 EST 2001

When I installed Red Hat Linux, I think that I set the hardware clock to GMT.
 The timezone is set to GMT-5.  (I don't set the local timezone to Eastern
because one of the applications that my company develops doesn't like the
machine on which it runs to adjust for daylight savings time.)

Now, I'm in the KDE desktop, and my clock correctly displays 9:00, which is
8:00 on my wall clock.  That should be 14:00 GMT.

As I'd expect, I'm seeing
Dec 25 09:04:10
in /var/log/messages and in other logs, such as Apache's access logs.

In playing with Zope this morning, I noticed some odd behavior.  The Zope
object database is timestamping objects with creation times such as
2001-12-24 11:06:04 PM, which is 10 hours before local standard time, and 15
hours before my hardware clock (I think).

Possibly related, (I'm not great with time formats, but it looks odd) mail I
send from KMail to myself has this sort of header