[TriLUG] compiling kernel

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 21:47:21 EST 2001

Hello Barry,

The modules of interest for PPP are ppp.o, ppp_deflate.o and bsd_comp.o, so
look for those.

Try opening an xterm as root and running "tail -f /var/log/messages" to
monitor the situation.

Even though you compile in PPP support, there is still a need for
ppp_deflate.o and bsd_comp.o to suppress some error messages. in the
/var/log/messages file.  These modules provide some compression services that
are optional. You might also see a reference to char-major-108.  With any
error messages you see in the log file, do a Google search to read how other
have dealth with the problem for your distro and others (for example: Suse
ppp char-major-108, and try without the suse too).  There is lots of PPP
problem solving info stored "out there".

You might try recompiling with PPP support as a module to see if things
behave differently.

I'd be really interested in knowing about the char-major-108 message in your
log.  It indicates that ppp.o is desired.  The "alias char-major-108 ppp"
line added to your /etc/conf.modules file fixes the problem.  And you need
ppp.o in you /lib/module/2.x.x/net path as well.

Good luck,
Mike