[TriLUG] sharing dialup-56k via linux--While we're on the subject of cheap modems for LINUX!!

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 26 15:48:25 EST 2001

I have a question about the following statement concerning "el-cheapo
modems" for Linux.

Specifically, does anyone know of a list of  inexpensive PCI modems which
will install with Mandrake right out of the box with just the software in
Mandrake??

If so I would like to hear about them. I've found it very difficult to find
internal PCI modems which work with Linux (most of  them as you know are
Winmodems, etc.). I know I could go to an external modem, but from time to
time it is necessary for me to carry my box off to meetings of one kind or
another and internal modems are much more convenient. Any lists would be
appreciated. The internal ISA modem which I used to use with LINUX cannot be
used any longer since I had to replace my motherboard and couldn't find one
with an ISA slot along with the other features I needed.---AL