[TriLUG] sharing dialup-56k via linux

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 01:27:21 EST 2001

I just setup ppp dial-out (ISP user side) and dial-in (ISP side) for a simple
dial-up IP connection.  I did not have a need for the gateway function on the
dial-out side, but it's not hard to do.  Routing can be as simple as putting
in a "proxyarp" control into the /etc/ppp/options file.

First get modem-HOWTO and PPP-HOWTO from www.linuxdoc.org.  I used them and
got pleasing results.  I got an el-cheapo ($27) modem called a Diamond
SupraExpress that is working.  I am not sure what advantage you will get by
buying a more expensive name brand model.

Most of my head-scratcher problems were on the dial-in side.  Getting in to
my ISP as an early test was simple enough.

I recommend using "tail -f /var/log/messages" and turning on debugging when
you have the option to do so.

I used the ancient ppp-on/ppp-off scripts.  There are GUI dialer tools that
are much friendlier (see PPP-HOWTO).

When you compile your kernel for PPP, consider loading PPP as a module
instead of built-in.  I suspect that you'll have slightly fewer problems, the
details of which I'll spare you unless you specifically ask for them.

Ensure that your supply of patience is well stocked.

HTH, MIke