[TriLUG] sharing dialup-56k via linux--While we're on the subjectof cheap modems for LINUX!!

Robert martin robertlmarti at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 28 07:05:54 EST 2001

Surely someone in Tri-lug has installed some PCI internal modem using
LINUX?? Hardware lists for LINUX are obviously not as reliable as
practical
experience by someone with experience with a particular piece of
hardware.
Moreover, it's been my experience that things that are recommended
sometimes
don't work, while those which are said to be "not recommended" sometimes
DO
work (because distributions change!)

If you get the Topic 56k modem (i paid $40.00 for it) it will work but
you may have to create
the device file (devfs) and run set serial.