[TriLUG] VNC questions

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:57:02 EST 2002

I have been messing with VNC and I like it a lot but I have run into a
few configuration issues.  The first one is that I would like to run it
as a service/have it start automatically.  I'm pretty new to Linux
(Novell background actually) and I've had some problems getting this
going.  I created
a symbolic link from /etc/init.d/vncserver to /etc/rc3.d and called it
S99vncserver.  I thought that starting it last would be "safe" but I was
wrong.  When I restarted the server with this link in place, I could not
log in at the console when XDM started.  When I removed the link, I
could log in just fine.  In both cases, I could login fine when (via
XDMCP) from the diskless xterm that I am testing with.  I guess I missed
another step in there.

My other problem is that if I logon and start vncserver from the console
prompt (or from rc.local when I tried it there) it seemed to leave
"pooplets" behind in the /tmp/.X11-unix directory.  There is a K file in
the /etc/rc3.d directory so I think that it should be shutting down but
apparently it is not.

Oh, this is an RH 7.2 installation and I am using the VNC that came with
that.

TIA!

Janyne Kizer