[TriLUG] trilug meetings

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 12 17:53:42 EST 2002

> What we do at the LUG at NCSU (where this is also something of a problem
> and where it gets brought up every once in a while) as far as making
> people known is that we have the dreaded fun of introductions.  Yes, we
> go around the room and I make everyone say their name, what they do (are
> they a student, what are they majoring in, where do you work if not,
> etc), and what brought you to come to the meeting.  Regulars hate it,
> but the new people appreciate it I think.  It at least helps with the
> not knowing who anyone is bit.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy

I like Jeremy's idea, and in fact we did that at the last Meet 'N Greet.  I
arrived late or I would have suggested it this time...

I also think that at each meeting we need to acknowledge new folks.  Get
them to stand up and say a little something - that helps break the ice.

We also have tried to put in place a "Welcome Wagon".  A group of folks who
meet new folks, introduce them around, answer any questions, and then sign
them up if they want to come back (low pressure here, but its always nice
to be asked!).

===
BTW: I'm Jon Carnes.  I work at HAHT Commerce where I'm the MIS.  I've been
playing with Linux for a long time, but only really using it for about 5
years.  In that time I've managed to convert the major part of HAHT's
infrastructure over the Linux based servers.

I'm the guy who brought in the Pizza's (late!).