[TriLUG] kpilot (Palm Pilot under KDE/Linux)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sun Jan 13 17:29:49 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 16:51, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> The Ximian web page is disappointing in that there is very little information
> about their products at all, especially with regards to dependencies.  I let
> Evolution's src.rpm download over a long period and it seems that they depend
> on an OLDER version of DB3 from what I have.  Ouch.  It wouldn't build.  So I
> downloaded the precompiled binaries and it bombed with a looooong list of
> unfulfilled dependencies.  Now I love Linux and all but this is a great
> example of the worst parts of it.  Syncing a palm on Windoze is a no brainer.
>  It seems doing this on Linux is a major project.  :-(

I will take a small bit of exception to that statement...

Chris,

You haven't given us nearly enough information to help you try
and solve your problem.  You said you downloaded evolution.
Where from?  What distribution are you running?  How much
have you updated it?  While griping may make you feel good,
it does nothing to help solve your problem.

For the record, I use gpilotd and evolution to sync my
Palm V.  I use the gnome control center to configure it
(and I don't even run gnome, I run windowmaker).
I run Mandrake, so I downloaded evolution 1.0 from
the latest mandrake cooker.  I used mandrake's
urpmi program to automatically download all it's
dependencies.  I don't believe redhat has a similar
type of tool (but hey, urpmi is gpl, hint, hint :-),
but you can download the srpm, and with a simple grep
through the spec file find out that:

Requires: scrollkeeper >= 0.1.4
Requires: bonobo >= 1.0.14
Requires: GConf >= 1.0.7
Requires: oaf >= 0.6.7
BuildRequires: gtkhtml-devel >= %{gtkhtml_version}
BuildRequires: gal-devel >= %{gal_version}
BuildRequires: bonobo-devel >= 1.0.3
BuildRequires: bonobo-conf-devel >= 0.12
BuildRequires: oaf-devel >= 0.6.2
BuildRequires: gdk-pixbuf-devel >= 0.9.0
BuildRequires: gnome-vfs-devel >= 1.0.0
BuildRequires: libglade-devel >= 0.14
BuildRequires: GConf-devel >= 0.6
BuildRequires: ORBit-devel >= 0.5.10
BuildRequires: gnome-print-devel >= 0.25
BuildRequires: libxml-devel >= 1.8.16
BuildRequires: intltool >= 0.11
BuildRequires: gtk+-devel >= 1.2.9
BuildRequires:  mozilla-devel
%{?ldap_support:BuildRequires: openldap-devel >= 2.0.11}
%{?pilot_support:BuildRequires: gnome-pilot-devel}
%{?krb5_support:BuildRequires: krb5-devel}

(The last 3 lines, in case you're wondering, mean
if building with that particular support, you also
need those packages to build evolution.)

As long as you make sure your system has those
"BuildRequires" packages, you should be able
to build evolution by just downloaded the
latest rawhide package and saying

rpm --rebuild evolution-1.0-1.7.2.src.rpm

If you don't feel like building it yourself,
there is still another way you can get evolution
and it's dependencies installed easily.  Conectiva
Linux has written a backend for apt-get that
handles rpm files.  I've used it on Mandrake,
and it works fairly well.  You can tell it you
want to install evolution and it will tell you
what dependencies you need and will offer to
download and install them too.  You need an
apt enabled redhat repository, though, and as
far as I know, the official redhat ones aren't.
Other people, however, have setup ones that are,
and you can take a look here for more info:

http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/ilug/2001-December/040153.html

(and probably other places as well, but that's
the one I found in a quick search).

So, in conclusion, if you want help, please give us more information
(at the very least the distribution/version).  And don't be so
quick to give up.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989