[TriLUG] less and raw man pages

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Jan 13 09:58:44 EST 2002

On Sunday 13 January 2002 09:03 pm, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 08:24:28PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> You're probably getting tripped up by the script the LESSOPEN env
> variable is pointing at, which "preprocesses" things for less.  If
> you unset LESSOPEN, it should revert to the expected behavior.

That's *so* cool.  I never knew about that.  I checked out what LESSOPEN does
on my Red Hat box, and I can inspect the contents of compressed files,
tarballs, and RPMs by typing nothing more than less.

The problem with neat tricks like the LESSOPEN magic is that I'm afraid of
using them so much that when I switch over to Solaris and Tru64 at work, I'll
forget what I need to do to inspect the file.  ;-)  It's that *almost*
portable behavior that really bugs me with *nix.

What do all of you do?  Stick to the portable minimum, or use the nifty
features on each flavor of *nix that you use?  How do you keep from getting
hopelessly confused?

Thanks,
---Tom